Wednesday, May 16, 2012

We Need to Talk...



So, this video was posted on an Ayn Rand social networking site, but I still wasn't really sure whether it had been written with one of  Rand's characters in mind. I was able to get in contact with the artist, though, and he affirmed that it was inspired in part by Atlas Shrugged. Anyway I really like the ideas presented in the song... and the vocalist sounds sort of like John Mayer.

I've been digging to try to find some social contacts with regard to The Fountainhead, and I kind of hit jackpot tonight with the social networking/dating service. I actually ran across an obscure reference to it in a scholarly article and thought, "Really? REALLY? They have a dating service for fans of Rand's stuff?" And sure enough, they do.

I feel like it's been somewhat difficult to track down fans of Rand's philosophies because of the nature of her philosophies themselves. One of the primary tenets of Objectivism is that you find meaning in yourself, and you don't really rely on the opinions of other people. That's all fine and dandy, but it just so happens to be a huge obstacle in terms of my efforts to practice social discovery. How are you supposed to use social media to discover others and get social proof when the people whose opinions you're seeking are philosophically disinclined as regards both social discovery and social proof? Well, it's been a struggle, but I feel like I might finally be getting somewhere, little by little.

So, for all you Objectivists out there, send me a message, drop me comment, toss me a +1, just anything to help me know that there really are Objectivists out there using social media. We need to talk...

No comments:

Post a Comment