Wednesday, April 25, 2012

In my Eng295 class, we've been talking a bit about the BYU-Idaho Learning Model, which is a three-step system intended to help students dig deeper throughout the learning process. I was pretty interested in this, as it coincides pretty nicely with some of my own ideas on learning. Basically, the program centers around the ideas of preparation, peer instruction, and application. It centers around integrating the things that we learn in class into our lives and into the lives of those around us. In other words, it's not so much about learning as it is about living according to the truths that we discover and helping others to find meaning and application in those same truths.


The model talks about three areas of preparation: spiritual, individual, and group. For those of a religious background, the idea of spiritual preparation is probably pretty clear: the Bible is full of verses stating that the Spirit will teach us all things. But for those still unsure about religion, what does it mean to prepare spiritually? Well, part of that is looking for answers to questions that are important to you, questions that will help you to become a better person and to fill in the gaps in your understanding of the world and of humanity. Another part is being in a condition that will allow us to focus on learning and discovery. After all, it's hard to read – not to mention critically analyze writing – when you're drunk or listening to crazy punk screamo.
         

The second part of preparation is individual study of topics. This is where the student hits the books, asks questions, analyzes, draws conclusions, connects to previous learning, records insights, etc. This personal preparation allows you to be ready for discussion and mutual instruction during group interactions and classroom discussions. Part of really learning, though, is getting that exposure outside of class, communicating with others about the things you're learning, collaborating with group members, and that really cements the ideas in your head and gets you thinking about them on a regular basis.
        
I've always found that it's in explaining concepts to other people that I learn the most and realize most readily how little I actually know. But that helps me to really know where I stand in terms of learning the material and making it a part of my life. Obviously, that can't be the only form of learning and instruction, as everyone has different learning styles and understands material differently. The information presented has varying significance for different people based on what they are going through and what kind of answers they are seeking in life. I guess one of the biggest dangers I see with peer instruction is the potential for dependence upon tutors and peers, as students sometimes get by not based on personal ability or understanding but solely on the kindness and trust of TA's and others. Some students fail to ever really embark on a personal quest of discovery and end up hiding behind the aid of others.
         
I try to keep a notebook of important ideas and lessons that I've learned, and every time I fill one up, I transcribe it to a computer document and save it along with all of my other writings. It's been neat to look back at the different settings in which I've been able to share some of the ideas: when I was younger, I used my limited arsenal of scriptures and a smattering of Kant, Rand, Rousseau, and Locke to argue my way through a philosophy forum; at various times, I've used Myspace and Facebook as arenas wherein to express my ideas; and not too long ago, I began a blog, whereon I've posted some of my most recent writing for school classes. One of my favorite pieces from last semester was an analysis of the Cuban Missile Crisis from the Soviet perspective. You can read it here, along with a couple of other posts (http://quidquidlatinedictum.blogspot.com/). 

No comments:

Post a Comment